Regular Unemployment Compensation

Regular Unemployment Compensation

Do I qualify for unemployment compensation?

Unemployment compensation is income replacement for workers who have lost their job through no fault of their own.

Apply for unemployment compensation if any of the following have happened to you at work because of the coronavirus pandemic or its impact:

  • Your hours have been reduced because of the public health crisis
  • You have been temporarily laid off or your workplace closed
  • You were sent home from work due to minor symptoms related to coronavirus
  • Your work was interrupted because you need to care for a family member
  • You were fired when you refused to work in unsafe conditions
  • You quit to avoid unsafe conditions

Common Issues

Having trouble navigating the new UC system?

We’ve created a webpage with updates about what’s changed and information about how to use the new site.

Scared you might lose your job?

If you think you might lose your job or need to take a leave of absence, learn what you need to do before that happens to protect your eligibility for unemployment compensation.

Questions about UC?

We have created a page of questions and answers to help guide you through the process of applying and keeping your unemployment compensation benefits.

I'm not sure my employer is telling me the truth about UC

It is important to know your rights about UC. Check out our guide to common employer mistakes and misinformation.

How does my immigration status affect my eligibility for UC?

We have created a frequently asked questions page to help answer your questions about immigrations status and UC.

Recent News

Don’t forget to join us at McPherson Library on Tuesday, May 24th from 1:00 PM to 4:00 PM! McPherson Library is located at 601 E Indiana Avenue. Come and meet advocates from PLA and learn about resources available! #Philadelphia #LegalAssistance #LegalAid #FreeLibraryOfPhiladelphia See MoreSee Less
View on Facebook
Can you believe our #plaj4j is only four weeks away? We can’t wait to celebrate with you at the Philadelphia Zoo on June 17th from 6PM-10PM. There’s still time to get your tickets! Join us for food, drinks, dancing, and fun! Kids under 12 can attend for free and enjoy face painting, the petting zoo, and the carousel! Learn more about the Jubilee and buy your tickets at #philadelphia #LegalAssistance #LegalAid See MoreSee Less
View on Facebook
Tired of waiting for a UC representative to answer the phone?You can now meet in-person with a UC representative at your local CareerLink office.You must schedule an appointment ahead of time by calling your local CareerLink office. No walk-ins are allowed.For more info visit #philadelphia #LegalAssistance #LegalAid See MoreSee Less
View on Facebook
Tax Tip Tuesday! If you don’t normally file a tax return because you don’t work or don’t make enough to have a filing obligation, over the last couple of years, you might have used a website that the IRS put out to claim stimulus payments and child tax credits.There is a new website this year for those same folks: people who didn’t work in 2021 (or 2019) and who aren’t required to file a tax return, but who need to claim the other half of the child tax payments that the IRS was issuing last year, and any missing stimulus payments. Even if you didn’t work in 2021, if you got unemployment benefits and had taxes withheld, you should file a regular tax return to see if you can get any of those withheld taxes refunded back to you.The website is in English and Spanish IRS paid 6 monthly child tax credits last year, of $250 or $300 per month, for a total of $1,500 or $1,800 per child, depending upon the age of the child.If you didn’t get all 6 payments, you can claim the payments you missed last year, along with another $1,500 or $1,800 per child. And for children who were born in 2021, you could claim the full $3,600 (or $3,000 if they are older but only started living with you in 2021).You can also claim any $1,400 stimulus payments you didn’t receive last year, including for children who were born or began living with you in 2021.This website is for people who don’t work and have earned income. If you worked in 2021, or in 2019 (or if you got unemployment benefits with taxes taken out) you really should file a regular tax return so that, in addition to these child tax credit payments and stimulus payments, you can claim the Earned Income Tax Credit and potentially a refund of withheld taxes and other refund credits, too! The Campaign for Working Families is still helping people file 2021 tax returns for free and you can make an appointment on their website! #Philadelphia #LegalAssistance #LegalAid #TaxTipTuesday See MoreSee Less
View on Facebook
We had so much fun at our Emerging Leader’s ​Quizzo Night last week, thanks to you! Our incredible panelists shared how PLA and @mannanourishes are working to improve community health, and then we had a blast playing legal aid quizzo. Special thanks to MANNA for hosting us. Are you a passionate, young changemaker interested in creating a more just Philadelphia? Learn more about our #justphilly initiative and Emerging Leaders program here: #philadelphia #LegalAssistance #LegalAid See MoreSee Less
View on Facebook

Do you need help filing your weekly claim?

We've created a guide to help you file your weekly claim.

Read more

The New UC System is Here

Are you having trouble with the new UC system? Check out our page about the changes for updates and information.

Read more

Do you have questions about filing your taxes?

We've created a guide to answer your questions about how your UC benefits impact your taxes.

Read more